Skip to main content

The Genesis for I Found My Motor City


Photo: 428 Crapo Street, Flint, Michigan, 1924. The house my father was born in and the house where I spent much of my childhood. That's my Dad and his mother, whom I called Bonna, on the front porch. The house is still there across from the Flint Public Library and Planetarium.

I'm from Flint, Michigan. Yup, that Flint, the Flint of Michael Moore. I've often marveled that I had the gumption to escape the tentacles of an old world model - if you live in a company town, you get a job, a good job with benefits, you go to work, keep your head down and out of trouble and make sure you mind what the neighbors think...
Only 40 minutes from Detroit, the other Motor City, Flint is the hometown of another iconoclast, Sandra Bernhard.
It's no wonder I've often felt a bit like a rebel, with the AFL/CIO and Teamsters unions calling the shots and bands like the MC5 Kick'n Out The Jams.
But I've morphed into an Angeleno, embracing this city with open arms and eyes, as you never know what you're going to find around the next corner.
I Found My Motor City writes itself. When the muse – the sky, the skyline, the shape of a building – call to me, the words jump out of my fingers onto the page. I love Los Angeles, the City of The Angels, where all is forgiven, much is forgotten and where I am free to express myself in every way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hollywood Bling

Veering down Vine Past Capital Records and Patron's Rock N' Roll neon sign Hollywood Bling

Rock N' Roll Ginza

Sunrise on Sunset taunts me with a glimpse - the City of the Angels glimmers like a mirage, wearing a hazy mushroom cloud like a halo. While hopes and dreams are coming apart at the seams, Upstarts and pop ups still brave the fantasies of fame. I don't know where to go now but I've gotta get there fast. I'm chasing my future and trying to out run my past. Wheelin' down the Rock-N-Roll Ginza, I'm home at last. I found my Motor City...